CNX has been part of our Appalachian region for over 155 years, and the pride we have for Appalachian communities is hard to put into words. So we’re putting it into action.
CNX has committed $30 million toward improving our communities and generating long-term, sustainable returns for the region, our industry, and our company. “We are on a mission to change the trajectory of our region and to improve the lives of our neighbors,” said CNX President and CEO Nick DeIuliis. “Our industry is the lifeblood of the regional economy and the foundation of our social fabric. These investments will provide returns for our local communities for years to come. This is what sustainability and ESG mean to CNX".
Apply for a Grant
Mission of the Foundation
CNX Foundation invests tangibly, impactfully, and locally to target urban and rural communities within the Appalachian Basin facing socio-economic challenges. These investments should demonstrate a return to both the targeted community and the advancement of the goals of the Foundation.
Making a Tangible, Impactful, Local Difference
CNX Foundation is committed to meeting CNX’s broader Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) philosophy by creating tangible, impactful, and local differences within the Appalachian basin. We do so by charting our course to ensure we are able to quantify and measure the visible results for the communities we serve as well as the programs we fund.
Understanding our philosophy starts with understanding the meaning of the tangible, impactful, and local initiatives we support:
- Tangible: We are laser-focused on making a real, measurable, and visible difference in the communities we serve.
- Impactful: We seek to identify true needs within our community so our support will have an immediate and long-lasting impact in helping specific programs within the region meet their goals.
- Local: Our efforts are rooted in supporting communities in our operational footprint so we can foster more opportunities for growth, close to home.
Under the lens of making a difference by being tangible, impactful, and local, CNX Foundation is dedicated to supporting organizations that focus their efforts on addressing the following community initiatives:
- A lack of consistent access to enough food to support a healthy lifestyle leads to food insecurity, affecting many communities throughout the United States, including our Appalachian region. Factors that contribute to food insecurity are, but not limited to, housing, wages, health, and social influence. CNX works within these communities to end food insecurity through education, awareness, and access to food pantries, soup kitchens, and more.
Habits are developed at a young age and it is challenging to break bad routines without the proper resources. CNX works to provide the children of Western Pennsylvania and surrounding areas in grades K-12 with health and wellness education and resources as a preventative action taken to support future generations, gain understanding, develop healthy lifestyles, and help them reach their maximum potential.
Youth Sports and Athletic Groups – We receive a large number of requests to sponsor youth sports and athletic programs. We value the importance of these groups to their communities and, as such, we have designated a specific portion of our annual budget to supporting these groups. In order to qualify for funding, the youth organization must exist in one of our immediate areas of operation.
Many communities are falling behind due to the lack of technological equity, leading to gaps in economic growth, household income, educational performance, healthcare access, and employment searches. Providing technological and infrastructural resources for education and employment opportunities helps enrich lives and strengthen society.
Life after incarceration is often difficult and discriminatory for individuals attempting to reinvent themselves into society, causing an overwhelming prevalence of homelessness, unemployment, and poverty. CNX Foundation seeks to work with individuals and organizations that understand the challenges these individuals face and can help foster a pathway forward for those previously incarcerated.
A pattern of behavior that is physically, emotionally, or mentally harmful in any relationship is domestic abuse and is challenging to escape. With survivors at the center of the cause, efforts must be made to move into the future and prevent it through advocacy, awareness, education, and support.
Society continues to be harmed by the ever-growing opioid epidemic, causing tens of thousands to suffer and experience effects from addiction. In order to begin to combat rising levels of opioid abuse, education, awareness, and strong preventative actions must be taken by individuals of all ages.
Trade and vocational careers have developed a negative stigma, causing a shortage of employees in vital realms of work. Career awareness paired with technical and vocational training gives the future workforce and incoming employees a better look at the options available allowing them to best meet their interests, skill sets, and society’s needs.
Clean water is a vital resource in our local communities and beyond. Research, prevention, policy, and programs should continue to be funded and utilized in order to protect and improve water quality and provide equal access to basic living necessities to future generations.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A GRANT
CNX Foundation welcomes organizations within our region to fill out an application below. Applications must be submitted online and will be reviewed on a quarterly basis.
CNX Foundation does not fund the following:
- Political parties, candidates or public policy advocates
- For-profit activities, businesses, associations or organizations
- Tax-supported entities, including public schools
- Fraternal, social, union or hobby/recreational clubs or organizations
- Personnel costs
- Sporting events
- Scholarship programs
- CNX Foundation tends to award grants in the same geographic footprint of CNX business operations. CNX Operates in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, and Virginia. We also recognize the need to support the underprivileged across the region we call home.
- CNX Foundation reviews grants on a quarterly basis.
- CNX Foundation Board of Directors reviews and approves the funding of grant requests. The board is comprised of CNX leaders from across the company and key community members.
- While there are no specific guidelines on when dollars awarded for programs and initiatives are spent, it is customary for grants to be used in one year
Follow CNX on Twitter and LinkedIn, CNX Foundation on Facebook and Instagram, and continue to check this page for updates as we engage with our community.